Sunday, June 17, 2012

Zulu


So it's definitely day 3 of my trip to south africa and I already feel like i have been here for about 2 weeks! Every since we landed, Garey has been showing us new places in Durban and meeting new instrumental people to the community of Durban and those close to him and Xolile, the lady we are staying with.

I have been in awe with how beautiful this country is and diversity within the people. The biggest surprise that I have experience thus far is how diverse south africans are. Yes, there are blacks and whites here, but specifically within the black community, everyone looks so different! There are so many variations of bone structure and shade of skin, and I am just amazed!

Garey and so many other south africans have mentioned how Yasmine, Anne Marie, and I all look like we are from here, and I could not believe it. I mean, although  we are black, South Africans definitely have a bone structure that I do not have! Whenever we go somewhere, people will start talking to me in Zulu, and, although I am no where near even getting the greeting down in Zulu, they assume that I am a Zulu woman! I remember walking into a gas station and the cashier apologizing saying, "Oh, I thought you were Zulu.....where are you from?!?" when I was freaking out in my mind because I felt like they could spot me as an American, or at least not from here, from a mile away! I don't think I will ever get used to it.
It's crazy because I feel as if this is the first time where a community assumes that I am "one of them" and, although I do not feel apart of the community, granted I just got here, it sure does feel a whole lot better than communities at my school and hometown!

The men are realllly friendly as well! Wedding offers have been very common around us. Here, the process of marrying a woman is called Lebota, and the man basically has to buy the female and negotiate with the family how much she is worth. So far a guy has said he will save up for 50 cows, 500,000 rans, for me!!!!! ;)

During my time here and talking with community workers for HIV services, I have felt like I am where I am suppose to be. Everything has been falling into place it seems, and, as I continue to think more about my time after graduating in the fall, I have been thinking a lot about the work I am currently experiencing and how this can help me confidently find a direction for my final year in undergrad.

As the end of the week approaches, we will be partaking in Youth Day, which celebrates the revolution of the youth in a township called Soweto a few decades ago. There will be church events, games, food, fun, dancing, etc etc etc and we'll be hopping around the place!
Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. Omg 50 cows, 500,000 rans!!! ahahah he wants you girl! But, this blog brought so much joy into my life this morning. I am so happy to hear about your many different experiences! Everything happens for a reason! Glad to hear that this trip is helping you find your path for after grad life! I am so proud of you Sarina! Tell everyone I said hello and give Garey a big hug for me! I look forward to your next post :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're worth at LEAST 100 cows. :) I'm so glad you're enjoying your new adventure! -Kira

    ReplyDelete